Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Apple Dumplings

Last Friday I had a Doctors appointment and let's just say it did not go too well. All the weight that I had previously lost let's just day I gained it all back :( Heart breaking I know! I burst into tears at my doctors office. Thank God DJ was there with me because I really need his encouragement and support.

My doctor said I no longer can eat anything sweet. No cake, No cookies, No Ice cream! Nothing sweet at all! I knew before I started this no sweets diet I needed to cook something sweet this one last time. 

For weeks now I've been saying I was going to make some Apple Dumplings from The Pioneer Woman Cookbook. My new favorite cook book :o)

I was planning on doing a step-by-step to show you each step but after cutting and rolling the apples I realize I haven't been taking pictures :( Sorry Ladies I know a lot of you tell me you like step-by-step pictures but I promise to get better

Apple Dumplings


Ingredients:
2 Granny Smith Apples
Two 8-ounce cans crescent roll dough
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
One 12-ounce can Mountain Dew
Ground Cinnamon to taste
Vanilla or cinnamon ice cream

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degress
2. Peel the Apples
3. Core them and cut into 8 equal wedges
4. Wrap each apple wedge in 1 piece of crescent roll dough, beginning at eh wide end 
5. Place the rolls seam side down in a buttered 8 x 10-inch baking dish
6. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
7. Add the sugar and vanilla and stir for a few seconds. No need to dissolve the sugar; you want the mixture to be grainy.

{This ingredient is so random Mountain Dew Soda}

8. Pour the butter/sugar mixture evenly over the rolls.
9. Next, Pour Mountain dew soda all over the top. It's look really liquidy and weird.... but no worries It'll all make sense in the end.
10. Finally, sprinkle the top with cinnamon

{this is how it looks with the ground cinnamon}

11. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.


Finished Look

Serve the dumplings with vanilla or cinnamon ice cream, and spoon on some of the syrup from the bottom of the pan.



Here's an up close look

My favorite part was the syrup. It was so delicious  I couldn't believe how good it taste. I thought adding the mountain dew was strange but after tasting it I totally understand the pairing of it.

This is going to be my last 'sweet' recipe for a very long, long time, so enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. *Drool* Here's another recipe I need to add to my list to make whenever I actually have time to bake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I can't wait until you make it, your going to love it!

      Delete