Saturday, January 26, 2013

Should I or Shouldn't I? ...Cosmetology School

On Martin Luther King Day, My cousin, Brandee asked me to do her hair and I was pretty excited too. While doing her hair it brought back old memories of Cosmetology school. I never did finish Cosmetology school and really regret it. I never wanted to have any regrets in life but that's one regret I do have. You need 1600 hours to complete Cosmetology school and I completed almost 600 hours. Even though I don't have an desire to do hair anymore (that passion has deflated and popped Lol) But I honestly hate quitting anything and wish I could have stuck it out and completed my hours and passed the Exam to reserve my license. 
So on days like this I ask myself Should I or Shouldn't I. 

I stopped going to Cosmetology school for 3 reasons. One was the transportation. It was hard for me to get back and forth to Cosmetology everyday. We went to school from 8 am until 4 pm. Yes literally all day It's like having a job. My second reason was trying to work part time and go to school full time. At the time when I was going to Cosmetology school I was working at Victoria's Secret part-time. I would go to Cosmetology school all day then work a night shift at Vicky's. Talk about tiring! So in order for me to continue cosmetology school I quit my job. They were so understanding and said they would hire me back anytime I was ready to come back. (And yes, I did go back and ended up working for Victoria's Secret for 5 years). My third obstacle was I have a condition called Palmers Hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis is excessive sweating. Having Hyperhidrosis has affected my life in so many ways and has stopped me from reaching my potential. I'll talk about living with Hyperhidrosis in a later post. Anywho, after I worked out my transportation issues and my employment issues I felt everything was working it's self out, but then after module 1 and 2 it was module 3. Time to work on actual clients. I got so nerves! I was scared to work on people I didn't know, complete strangers. I normally only do hair and makeup on people I know because they know my condition and are perfectly fine with it, but working on people who I didn't know gives me knots in my stomach. So before I could let someone see my hands and equipment all sweaty I quit school. After I left school both my cosmetology teachers kept asking me to come back and said I one of there favorite students. That would make me so happy to hear but I still didn't go back.

I'm now going to school for Business and Child care. I always wanted to own my own Beauty Bar so that's where the business aspect comes into play and I love children and passion about Foster care, so I want to do something positive for foster care children or become a social worker. I use to want to be a teacher but after volunteering for a day care for 2 years, teaching Vacation Bible school for 2 Summers in a row, and being a Nanny for 4 years I realize I didn't have as much patience as I thought I did. My family and DJ say I'm great with kids and have a lot of patience though.  

I apologize for the extremely long post I just wanted to get a lot off my chest. I've just been asking myself Should I or Shouldn't I return to Cosmetology school?

Love & Blessings,
Keisha Evans


No comments:

Post a Comment